It’s World Oral Health Day today and this year’s theme is ‘Smile for Life’.
I received an e-mail with professional advice from IVOhealth’s oral hygiene expert Dirna Grobbelaar to keep my family smiling – healthily. And I thought I’d share it with you:
- Brush correctly twice a day – the Philips Sonicare is clinically proven to gently remove more plaque than a manual brush.
- Brush for a full two minutes each time – the new Philips Sonicare For Kids has a built-in timer to help your children learn how long to brush.
- Clean in-between the teeth every day – this should start as soon as the teeth start to touch one another, usually from around age two.
- Find an interdental tool that suits your mouth and lifestyle – floss, an interdental brush, an oral irrigator or the Philips Sonicare AirFloss which jets a microburst of air and water between the teeth at 72 km/h.
- Gently clean the tongue to remove plaque and food debris – look for specially designed tools.
- For extra fresh breath confidence older children and adults can swish with an alcohol-free mouthwash like Dentyl Active.
- Have a professional clean by an oral hygienist every six months and see the dentist each year.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet avoiding sugary foods and drinks.
I have been using the Sonicare toothbrush for a couple of months now and it is the best toothbrush I have ever used. A review is coming your way soon, but as one is on its way to my little one, I thought I’d rather wait and give you a full review on the Sonicare powerbrush for adults and kids. So keep an eye on the blog.
I do have to share this little tool with you today as it is awesome…
The Sunstar GUM dual action tongue cleaner:
This little beaut thoroughly cleans your tongue and is a must-have. Cara has decided that it belongs to her and my little girl is adament that she has to clean her tongue too every time she brushes her teeth. I have to get one for myself and hubby now and I have convinced other members of my family to get some as well. After the first (and perhaps gross) use, you will be convinced too that you simple cannot go without. They retail for about R40 and is available from dentists, Dis-Chem, Clicks, selected Pick ‘n Pay stores and pharmacies.
For more oral care tips visit IVOhealth or chat to your dentist or oral hygienist.
Here’s to a happy and healthy smile!